Wednesday 5 December 2012

An Update and Reflection

So I've been MIA for the last week. A day going by without a post is odd for this blog, as I train 1-2 times a day. So why, in seven days, have I not recorded my workouts?

A few reasons, including building stress with work, a greater attempt at limiting distractions, and the biggest of all, I'm tired. We've started to get into the Open mindset at CFTS, which is awesome, and Dusty's been programming some killer spicy WODs to help step up our game. Everyone has been so encouraging and enthusiastic about bringing our A-game everyday (or twice a day). But on Saturday, I was tired. Now let's explore why I was tired...

It could have been a lack of sleep, but unlikely as I sleep pretty well most of the time.
It could have been the change I've been making in my diet the last few weeks, but I've gone crazy strict before, and it only took about a week for the fatigue to disappear.
It could have been stress taking a toll on me, or the physical level I'd been pushing to, or even the new routine I'm trying for my asthma.
But I don't think these things are more than minor players in the big game. To be honest, I think I got sick. Yes, as in ill, as in a threat to my immune system, not sick like the gangsta I am. I'm not a doctor, nor did I go to one for this, so I can't confirm for sure. But a small part of me actually hopes I was sick to prove something to myself.

A few years ago, I would get sick multiple times during the winter, often spending days at home in bed, almost completely immobile. Last season I only really got sick once. The last week was the first real one of this season for me. And I think I won. I couldn't ID the problem that I was feeling in my body, I just knew that it was something I should listen to and perhaps relax the intensity of my training for. I hope I was right. I feel on the mend now, and am proud. Again, I am no doctor, but I think eating REAL food and making physical fitness a true priority has demonstrated that evolutionarily, I have made myself stronger and fitter.  My body caught something that two years ago would have knocked me off my feet. Today, it was just a minor inconvenience in my daily regimen.


Oh, and a certain ex-boyfriend can have all of the credit for getting me off of spray butter and splenda a few years ago, but the 235# back squat I nearly hit while fighting this bug a few days ago, is all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment