Sunday 18 November 2012

Yoga

We started offering Yoga at CFTS, so I gave it a go today. I look ridiculous trying to breathe properly and hold the positions simultaneously, but it was good fun, and certainly tougher than expected. I think it'll be an awesome supplement to my training.
That's me in the back in the white headband. I know it's hard to tell because I resemble a sqauting ninja fighting with lasers that shoot from my finger tips, but it is, in fact, me.
Today reaffirmed a lot about my stance on supplemental training. I used to do pilates with Max back in England, and it translated so well into my lifting, particularly my overhead squat and my snatch. I've seen improvements in my overall CrossFitting from swimming, spinning, and golf too. As we were doing downward dog this morning (correction: the class was doing it, mine was somewhat of a downward zigzag), the instructor told us of the benefits she's seen in yogis (can I even use that word?) with planterfacitus (which I have), joint problems (bad wrists, check!), and overall mental health (no comment). I'm game!

So let's play devil's advocate for a second. Say that I have no direct gains in my lifts from doing yoga. So what. Am I hurt? Nope. Am I getting fat from it? Nope. Am I having a great time making a fool of myself with my CFTS fam? Certainly. Hell that in itself is worth it.

Let's see if I can become a yogi.

No comments:

Post a Comment